Wednesday, November 01, 2006

This is why even if Harold Ford loses on Tuesday, he's still going places

A rising Democratic star:

From the Chattanooga paper.

Simple Act Of Kindness Won My Vote - And Reply
posted October 31, 2006

I am one of those independent voters whom Harold Ford Jr. and Bob Corker are trying to convince to vote for him. I have not lived in Chattanooga all that long so I did not specify a party affiliation without knowing anything about the candidates. Until about 2:00 this afternoon, I still was undecided.

I stopped by Panera Bread for a salad and noticed about 20 or so people holding Harold Ford Jr. for Senate signs. I sat outside on the patio and a few minutes later, Congressman Ford pulled up in a big white truck. He was speaking to his supporters when two garbage trucks drove by and honked their horns.

Congressman Ford immediately stopped speaking and turned around to wave. In the midst of a whole bunch of hugs and handshakes, Congressman Ford immediately stopped what he was doing and followed (on foot) the trucks down the street. When the drivers came to a stop, the men on the back jumped down. The Congressman walked right up to them and put his arm around their sholder and shook each of their hands. He thanked them for their hard work. Honestly, if ever I have been more inspired by a single act of kindness and recognition, it was at precisely that moment.

Conressman Harold Ford Jr. could teach us all a thing or two about dignity and honor. The very fact that he recognized each one of these sanitation workers speaks volumes about what his representation of Tennessee will be in the Senate. Everyone counts, and everyone deserves the same respect. I was truly inspired by this simple act of recognition. With that single act, Congressman Harold Ford Jr. won my vote and my respect. I believe he will represent each and every Tennessean.

Jackson Montgomery
jackson_montgomery@mail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home