Wednesday, March 02, 2005

ACLU sues Rumsfeld

This morning, the ACLU filed a federal lawsuit charging that Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld bears direct responsibility for the torture and abuse of detainees in U.S. military custody. The lawsuit seeks a court declaration that Secretary Rumsfeld violated the U.S. Constitution and international laws.

Watch their short movie about why torture sucks...
http://www.aclu.org/rumsfeld/flash/index.html

I guess what I like about the movie, political ad that it is, is that it focuses on the thing about this whole scandal that pisses me off the most- prison abuse and torture, which legal experts have recognized for years is pretty useless at getting reliable information out of detainees (who tend to tell officers whatever it is they think they want to hear), is also, of course, producing a terrible image of America as a self-righteous, hypocritical bully around the world, and basically running the name of my country through the mud.

It is amazing how little it took to make us give up any moral high ground, and that will leave me profoundly humbled for the rest of my days.
Over and matt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home